For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, whisked (see notes for AIP)
- 1/4 cup white rice, uncooked (see notes for AIP)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
For the soup
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup Hannah white sweet potato, chopped
- 1 14 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes (see notes for AIP)
- 4 cups beef broth (sub chicken broth)
- 1 zucchini, sliced thin into half-moons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tbsp cilantro, fresh
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the ingredients for the meatballs and form them into small meatballs. You should have about 25. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside, covering with foil to keep them warm.
- Place a large stockpot or dutch oven over medium heat on the stove and add the avocado oil. Saute the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until lightly fragrant.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for another 5 minutes or until lightly fork tender.
- Add the sweet potato, diced tomato, broth, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Carefully add the meatballs and zucchini. Lightly stir. Simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the meatballs are cooked through.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste along with lime juice. Serve topped with cilantro and avocado.
To make AIP Omit the tomato and use 2 cups of nomato sauce instead. Omit the cumin and black pepper. Omit the egg and rice from the meatballs.
All nutrition facts are estimated and will vary.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 412
- Fat: 17.7g
- Carbohydrates: 33.3g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Protein: 33.3g