This asparagus, turkey and sweet potato skillet is a simple one-pan meal full of spring flavors, and topped with a herbaceous pesto. It’s paleo, whole30, and AIP.
For the pesto
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the skillet
- 3 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- To make the pesto, combine all of the ingredients in a high speed blender. Blend until fully combined. Set aside in the fridge to chill.
- Using a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of avocado oil over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and lightly season. Crumble with a wooden spoon and cook until browned. Set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan along with the sweet potato. Lightly season and stir for 10-12 minutes or until the sweet potatoes and cooked to liking and lightly crisp. Set aside and lightly clean out the pan.
- Add more oil to the pan along with the garlic and asparagus. Lightly season and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened and crisped.
- Reincorporate the turkey and sweet potato into the skillet and stir to combine and reheat for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and top with desired amount of pesto to serve.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 575
- Fat: 47.4g
- Carbohydrates: 17.1g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 24.5g