This Hungarian Mushroom Soup is the real thing! It’s my Hungarian mom’s recipe and is traditionally made with mushrooms and Hungarian paprika.
- 2 tbsp sour cream (sub coconut yogurt for dairy-free)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp arrowroot starch
- 2 1/2 tsp sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 tbsp butter (sub ghee or coconut oil)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, finely chopped
- 3 stalks of celery chopped, finely chopped
- 1 lb button mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 4 cups chicken broth (sub vegetable broth)
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- Combine the sour cream, water, arrowroot, and paprika in a small bowl. Whisk until a thick paste forms. Set aside.
- Using a stock pot or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and saute for 5 minutes. The vegetables should be lightly fork-tender.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until they are softened, for about 5 more minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and dill, and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot and stir well to combine. Bring the broth to a low boil before adding the sour cream paste and stirring to combine.
- Reduce to a medium simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring often until the soup is thickened and flavorful.
- Squeeze in fresh lemon juice and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- All nutrition facts are estimated and will vary.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: hungarian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 162
- Fat: 8.1g
- Carbohydrates: 19.9g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 7.1g
Keywords: hungarian mushroom soup