These banana bread donuts are the perfect sweet treat for dessert or brunch. They’re paleo-friendly and gluten-free.
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 tbsp dairy-free chocolate chips (I use enjoy life)
For the glaze (optional)
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and lightly grease a donut pan.
- Using a medium bowl, stir the ground flaxseed and water together and allow to thicken and set for 5 minutes.
- Add the almond flour, arrowroot starch, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and baking soda to the same bowl and stir well to combine.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, and fold in the mashed banana. Stir well until the banana is fully incorporated into a batter. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Prepare a large piping bag (or simply a large plastic Ziploc bag with a large tip cut off) and fill it with the batter. Pipe the batter into the donut pan, filling about 6 spaces.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 28-30 minutes or until the donuts are baked through.
- Very carefully transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool to the touch before handling.
- To make the glaze, melt the chocolate and coconut oil using a microwave or a double boiler method until fully liquid.
- Carefully spoon some of the melted chocolate over the top of each donut to thoroughly coat. Top with banana slices if desired. Transfer to the fridge and allow to set for about 10 minutes before enjoying the donuts!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked