This broccoli cheese soup tastes like the real thing without the cheese! It’s paleo, AIP, dairy-free, whole30, and can be made vegan as well.
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth (sub vegetable broth)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 – 1 tsp salt (season to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 3–4 tbsp nutritional yeast (season to taste)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 3 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
- Whisk the broth and arrowroot starch together in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a medium pot or dutch oven, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and saute for 3-4 minutes to lightly soften.
- Pour in the broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a medium-low simmer. Simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the butternut squash is soft. Allow to cool slightly before blending with an immersion blender until smooth (alternatively, you can blend in a blender and return to the pot).
- After the soup base is blended, add the broccoli, carrot, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine and return to a medium simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
- Stir in the coconut cream, nutritional yeast, and turmeric. Stir to combine and allow to cook on low for another minute. Season further to taste.
- Serve in bowls topped with bacon if desired.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 303
- Fat: 8.1g
- Carbohydrates: 23.1g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Protein: 7.8g