These buffalo chicken poppers are the perfect game day meal. They’re paleo, whole30, and can even be made AIP-friendly.
For the chicken poppers
- 2 cups finely shredded sweet potato
- 1 lb ground chicken (uncooked)
- 2–3 sprigs green onion (reserve 1 TBSP for topping)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce (see below for AIP buffalo sauce)
For the AIP buffalo sauce
- 3 1/2 tbsp coconut cream
- 2 1/2 tbsp coconut milk
- 2 1/2 tbsp honey
- 2 1/2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked salt
- 1–3 tsp horseradish powder (adjust to taste)
- 3/4 tsp arrowroot starch
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper lightly greased with oil.
- To make the chicken poppers, combine all of the popper ingredients (reserving 1 tbsp of green onion for topping) in a large mixing bowl and thoroughly mix.
- Begin rolling the mixture into small, slightly flattened poppers about one inch in diameter (you’ll have about 20-25 poppers) and place them on the baking sheet
- Place in the oven for 25-28 minutes, flipping halfway through. Crisp further in a pan or place under the broiler if desired for 1-2 minutes to crisp further. Remove from the oven when thoroughly cooked through to 165 F.
- If you are making AIP buffalo sauce: While the poppers cook, combine the ingredients for the sauce in a pot and whisk well. Cook on the stove on medium heat for 5 minutes, whisking often until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and separate out about 3-4 tbsp of sauce for dipping if desired
- Allow the poppers and the sauce to cool slightly before carefully dipping each popper into the sauce until well coated. Serve with extra buffalo sauce and ranch dressing on the side.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 329
- Fat: 19.2g
- Carbohydrates: 18.1g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 21.8g