This cauliflower arroz con pollo is a low carb alternative to a classic! It’s paleo, whole30, and can be modified to be nightshade-free and AIP.
- 2 lbs bone in skin on chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups caulflower rice
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes (sub nomato sauce for AIP)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup green peas (omit for AIP& whole30)
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (see notes)
- 1 tsp cumin (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, quartered
- Pat the chicken dry and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Using a large skillet, heat about 2 tbsp of oil in the pan. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken. Sear for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly crisp. The internal temperature should read 165 F. Set aside on a plate.
- Add more oil if necessary, and saute the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the cauliflower rice and gently saute for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the diced tomato, broth, peas, and season with turmeric, cumin and cilantro. Stir well to combine and bring to the liquid to a low simmer.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and evenly dispurse. Cover the pot and allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes or until the liquid has reduced and the chicken is heated through.
- Serve topped with chopped cilantro and limes.
Traditional Arroz Con Pollo is not made with this much turmeric, but the turmeric is added for color and flavor as this particular recipe is free of nightshade spices. You can scale it back if you can tolerate nightshade spaces and choose to use chili powder.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Nutritional information does not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: one pot meals
- Method: stove top
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 246
- Fat: 13.5g
- Carbohydrates: 20.2g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 15.8g