This sticky Chinese lemon chicken is a fresh and flavorful one-pan meal. This version is a healthier take on the traditional dish, and is paleo, whole30, and AIP-compliant.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- Juice of one large lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp honey (omit for whole30)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp arrowroot starch (divided)
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp green onion, chopped
- Combine the broth, coconut aminos, lemon juice, garlic, honey, and 1 tsp arrowroot starch in a small bowl and whisk well. Set aside.
- Season the chicken and coat in salt, pepper, and 1 tbsp arrowroot starch.
- Heat the avocado oil in the pan and add the chicken. Cook for 4-5 minutes to lightly brown. Turn and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the liquid to the pan and stir well. Allow to come to a low simmer.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and stir to coat in the sauce. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and reads an internal temperature of 165 F and the sauce is sticky and thickened.
- Serve topped with green onion and a side of rice or cauliflower rice if desired.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 224
- Fat: 10.1g
- Carbohydrates: 6.1g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 25.9g