This copycat hamburger helper tastes just like the real thing made healthier! It’s grain-free, paleo, and can even be made AIP!
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cup tomato sauce (sub nomato sauce)
- 2 cups gluten-free elbow pasta (Jovial rice pasta for gluten-free, or jovial cassava pasta for paleo/AIP)
- 1–2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Using a large bowl, stir the coconut milk, broth, arrowroot, oregano. Set aside.
- Use a large, deep pot to brown the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Set aside, leaving about 2 tbsp of fat in the pot.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes or until lightly translucent.
- Add the beef back to the pot and stir in the broth mixture, tomato sauce, and pasta. Stir well to combine.
- Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, bringing the pot to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 10-12 minutes, stirring often, until the pasta is cooked through and the sauce is reduced. See notes in the pasta needs more time to cook to your liking.
- Stir in nutritional yeast to taste and serve topped with parsley.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
If the pasta needs more time to cook to your liking, add about 1/3 cup of broth and simmer for 2-3 more minutes until the pasta reaches your desired doneness.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: One Pot
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 517
- Fat: 16.9g
- Carbohydrates: 55.2g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 36.3g
Keywords: gluten free hamburger helper, gluten free pasta, hamburger helper