For the cookies
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (sub carob powder for AIP)
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
For the cream filling (sub simple mills frosting if tolerated)
- 1/2 cup palm shortening
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
For the coating and topping
- 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (sub carob chips for AIP)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4–1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 3–4 crushed yum earth candy canes (if tolerated, omit for AIP)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper.
- Sift the coconut flour, cocoa powder, and tapioca starch together until well combined. Mix in the baking soda, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Stir well to combine and transfer to the fridge to chill for about 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper and flatten to about 1/4″ thickness. Use a small cookie cutter (1.5″ or smaller) to cut small cookies (you’ll have about 12-14 depending on the size of your cookie cutter) and transfer to the baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until baked through. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- Make the cream by combining the shortening, maple syrup, and peppermint extract. Alternatively, you can use Simple Mills frosting (if tolerated) and add peppermint extract.
- Spoon about a heaping tablespoon worth of cream onto one cookie, and use another cookie to sandwich. Transfer the cookies to the fridge to chill for 10 minutes.
- Combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil and melt over a double boiler method, or in the microwave until fully liquid. Add the peppermint extract and combine.
- Prepare a large plate lined with parchment paper. Using a fork, carefully dip each cookie into the chocolate coating and stir to coat. Pick up the cookie with the fork and allow the excess chocolate to drip off. Transfer to the parchment paper and top with crushed candy canes. Repeat for all of the cookies.
- Allow to set in the fridge for an hour, or until the chocolate is fully hardened. Serve chilled.
All nutrition facts are estimated and will vary.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 12
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 392
- Fat: 29.6g
- Carbohydrates: 33.5g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: peppermint cookies