- 1 tsp coconut oil (for greasing the pan)
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp palm shortening
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the gelatin eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp gelatin (I use Vital Proteins)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line an 8×8″ baking pan with parchment paper lightly greased with coconut oil.
- Combine the coconut flour, arrowroot, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the palm shortening and honey until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar. Pour the mixture into the cornbread dough and combine.
- For the gelatin egg, add the water to a small sauce pot and slowly pour over the gelatin. You don’t want any clumps, so lightly mix if needed. Allow the mixture to rest and harden over 2-3 minutes. Place the pot on the stove and turn in on low heat. Slowly melt the gelatin and remove from heat. Vigorously whisk the gelatin egg until it becomes frothy. Add the gelatin egg to the mixture immediately and mix to combine.
- Spoon the dough into the baking pan and evenly spread with the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the bread by moving the parchment paper onto a cooling rack. Allow the bread to cool completely before slicing. The bread needs to set or it will be gummy if you slice it too early.
- Slice into 9 pieces and enjoy topped with honey, butter/ghee (if tolerated) or jam!
- Category: Sides
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American