These grain free rice crispy treats are close to the real thing!
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp gelatin
- 1 cup honey
- 4 cups toasted coconut flakes (you’ll need 2 bags if your use this brand)
- 2–3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Prepare an 8×8″ (or slightly larger) baking pan by lining with parchment paper and coating generously in coconut oil. Set aside.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over top. Stir gently to ensure the gelatin is combined. Set aside to allow to harden.
- Using a medium-sized pot slowly heat the honey combined with the other 1/2 cup of water. Slowly bring the temperature to 235-240 F degrees on low heat. Remove from heat immediately once the mixture comes to temperature.
- Begin whisking the gelatin mixture either with an electric hand mixer or in a stand mixer. Slowly add in the honey mixture and keep whisking for 10-12 minutes. The marshmallow mixture should be lukewarm, thick, and marshmallow peaks should start to form.
- Stir in the toasted coconut flakes and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and place in the fridge to harden for at least 4 hours.
- After the marshmallow solidifies, carefully remove from the pan and place on a cutting board. Generously grease a sharp knife with coconut oil and slice the treats in 9 bars (or more for smaller treats). The bars will be hard to slice, so add more coconut oil as needed, and use a slow sawing motion with the knife. Note that the bars will be soft (like a marshmallow) and the “crispy” element comes from the toasted coconut.
- Store in the fridge and enjoy!
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary.
To have less sugar per serving, slice the bars into smaller bite sized pieces.
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Dessert
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 427
- Fat: 20.8g
- Carbohydrates: 63.8g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 4.1g
Keywords: rice crispy, grain free, marshmallows