- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 1/2 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup broth (chicken or vegetable broth of your choice)
- 2 tbsp-4 tbsp nutritional yeast (adjust to taste)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 2 cups plantain chips, crushed into crumbs
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Fill a large pot two-thirds of the way with water and bring to a low boil. Add the broccoli and cauliflower and boil until fork tender and the broccoli is bright green. Strain and set aside.
- Clean out the pot. Using the same pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the sweet potato and carrots and saute for 5-6 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly fork tender.
- Pour in the coconut milk, broth, nutritional yeast, turmeric, salt, and pepper and stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes. The vegetables should be soft.
- Carefully spoon out about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid to a small bowl and whisk in the arrowroot starch until fully dissolved and the mixture is thick. Pour back into the cheese sauce mixture and stir to combine. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Use a high-speed blender to blend the cheese sauce. The mixture should be fully liquid and creamy. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and lightly grease a 9×13″ casserole dish. Add the broccoli and cauliflower to the dish, and pour in the cheese sauce. Mix well to evenly disperse. Top the casserole off with the crushed plantain chips and transfer to the oven.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly and warm. Allow to cool slightly before topping with parsley and serving.
Adjust nutritional yeast to taste. Also, adjust salt to taste as all plantain chips have varying sodium content.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Category: Sides
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 298
- Fat: 17.3g
- Carbohydrates: 34.5g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Protein: 6.6g
Keywords: Broccoli cheese casserole