Hot cocoa bombs are easy and fun to make at home! This DIY version is made with dairy-free chocolate and refined sugar-free marshmallows for a more wholesome version of this fun recipe.
- Combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil and melt over a double boiler method, or in the microwave until fully liquid.
- Using 2 hot cocoa bomb molds carefully spoon in about 1 tbsp of melted chocolate. Use a small cake decorating brush to brush the chocolate covering the mold into a thin layer of chocolate. Transfer to the freezer for 5 minutes to harden.
- Remove from the freezer and add another layer of chocolate to the molds to thicken the chocolate further. Use the brush to pay extra close attention to the edges to make sure they’re fully covered. Return to the freezer for another 5-10 minutes until fully hardened.
- Prepare a station with 6 cupcake liners, the hot cocoa mix, and marshmallows,
- Carefully remove one of the chocolate shell halves from the mold and transfer it to a cupcake liner. Fill with about 1 tbsp of cocoa mix, and top with marshmallows. Repeat for half of the chocolate shells.
- Microwave a plate for 90-120 seconds, and one by one, carefully remove the shells and place the open half onto the plate for 2-3 seconds to lightly melt the chocolate. Carefully place the shell onto one of the filled shells, ensuring that it’s melted together. Clean up the edges with the decorating brush if needed. Repeat with all of the shells and place them in the fridge to harden.
- Drizzle with extra chocolate on top and decorate (if desired) and place in the fridge again for a few minutes.
- When ready to serve, add the hardened cocoa bomb to a mug and pour hot milk over until the mug is full and the cocoa bomb has melted. Carefully stir and allow to cool slightly before enjoying!
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cuisine: Global
Keywords: hot cocoa bombs