- 2 cups almond (or coconut) milk, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use Hu Kitchen, No Added Sugar – Discount code UNBOUND)
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (optional)
- Whisk the arrowroot starch with 1/4 cup of almond milk together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the 1 3/4 cup milk to a small saucepan and heat over low heat.
- Once the milk is warm, add the cocoa powder and chocolate chips (and coconut sugar if desired). Stir to allow the chocolate to melt for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the arrowroot mixture into the pot and stir to combine until the hot chocolate thickens.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before pouring into a mug to enjoy.
- The hot chocolate is very rich on its own. Add coconut sugar if you’d like to sweeten it.
- All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian Inspired
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 536
- Fat: 31.2g
- Carbohydrates: 66.8g
- Fiber: 9.3g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: italian hot chocolate