This one-pan chicken cacciatore is classic Italian comfort food! This version is gluten-free, paleo, and can be made both whole30 and AIP.
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped (omit for AIP, sub carrots)
- 2 cups diced tomato with juice (sub nomato sauce for AIP)
- 1/2 cup red wine (sub broth for whole30, see notes for AIP)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1–2 tsp capers (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Pat down the chicken thighs and season with salt and pepper. Dredge with arrowroot starch and set aside.
- Using a large pan (that has a lid) heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side to lightly crisp the skin. Set the chicken aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots, mushroom, and bell peppers (if using) and saute for 4-5 minutes to lightly soften.
- Use tongs to return the chicken thighs to the pan, moving the vegetables to the side. Pour in the canned tomatoes (or nomato sauce for AIP), red wine, chicken broth, capers, and herbs. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to a low simmer. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes uncovered.
- Cover and simmer on low for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Salt further to taste and top with more fresh herbs. Serve with zucchini noodles or other pasta or rice of choice.
Cooking wine removes the alcohol. It should still be omitted for whole30, and should be used with discretion for AIP. Sub more chicken broth if not using wine.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary.
- Category: one pot meals
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 583
- Fat: 39.7g
- Carbohydrates: 17.2g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 35.2g