For the shortbread cookie base
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping
For the shortbread cookies
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper lightly greased with coconut oil.
- Start with the crust by mixing together the two flours, and then stirring in the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Take a small handful of dough and lightly flatten onto the parchment paper. Use a 3″ cookie cutter to form a cookie, and use your fingers to pull away any excess dough outside the cookie cutter. Use a small 1″ cookie cutter to cut a hole in the center of the cookies and set aside the excess dough. Repeat the process for all of the dough until you have 7-8 cookies or so.
- Use a fork to make 4 small punctures around the surface of the cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Allow cooling slightly before very carefully transferring the parchment paper to a cooling rack. Allow the cookies to cool completely before touching them, or they will break easily.
For the topping & assembling the cookies
- While the oven is still at 325 F, add the shredded coconut to a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes or until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- Add the pitted dates to a food processor and pulse until chopped. Add the coconut milk and pulse to combine. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate using your preferred method (I prefer a double boiler method) and set aside.
- Assemble the cookies by adding about 2 tbsp of the date mixture to one cookie, then topping with shredded coconut, and finally a thin drizzle of melted chocolate. Repeat the process for all of the cookies.
- Place in the fridge for chill for about 20-30 minutes to allow the toppings to set.
The photos of this recipe and all written content on my website are copyright protected and cannot be copied or shared. Please do not copy this recipe or photos and share it on your own website, Instagram, or other written materials. If you’d like to feature a photo in a roundup, please contact me. If you’d like to tell people about this recipe on social media, your own website, or elsewhere please link back to the recipe here rather than copy and pasting. Thank you so much!!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: American