For the brine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
For the calamari
- 1/2 lb calamari, sliced into rings
- 1/3 cup gluten-free flour
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg, whisked (see notes for egg-free)
- Avocado oil spray
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F.
- Using a small bowl, whisk the ingredients for the brine together. Add the calamari and toss. Set in the fridge for 20-25 minutes. Strain the water and pat dry.
- Prepare the breading by combining the flour, arrowroot starch and Italian seasoning in one bowl. In another bowl, add the whisked egg.
- Working with one piece at a time, dip the calamari into the egg to coat, and let the excess egg drip off. Place the calamari in the flour mixture and dredge to coat. Add to the base of the air fryer basket. Repeat for all of the calamari.
- Spray the calamari well with avocado oil spray (about 2-3 tsp worth) on both sides. Transfer to the preheated air fryer and cook for 6-8 minutes, tossing halfway through, until you calamari is crisped to your liking.
- Remove from the air fryer basket and serve topped with parsley and with a side of marinara sauce and lemon wedges.
Though I haven’t tried this recipe egg-free, the best alternative that I would try first is full-fat coconut milk. This has a high fat content and is good at helping breading stick!
- Method: air fryer
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 168
- Fat: 5.6g
- Carbohydrates: 17.7g
- Fiber: .9g
- Protein: 11.2g