This slow cooker barbacoa is an easy and delicious protein to add to burrito bowls, or make into tacos! The barbacoa is paleo, whole30 compliant, and can be adapted to be AIP.
- 3 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 small onion, diced
- 5–6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp cumin (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp chipotle powder (omit for AIP – see notes)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Fresh lime wedges
- Diced avocado
- Diced red onion
- Slice the chuck roast into 6-8 large chunks and set at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the garlic, onion, and seasonings and mix well to evenly coat the chuck roast.
- Pour in the broth, lime juice, and apple cider vinegar.
- Cover the slow cooker and set to high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours until the chuck roast easily shreds with a fork.
- Remove the bay leaves from the slow cooker and shred the barbacoa.
- Add fresh cilantro and other toppings serve over burrito bowls with cauliflower rice for a low carb and whole30 option, or in taco shells like Siete tortillas for a grain free option, or homemade cassava tortillas for an AIP option.
To add nightshade free spice for AIP, add 1-2 tsp of horseradish powder.
- Category: Proteins
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 237
- Fat: 8.7g
- Carbohydrates: 3.9g
- Protein: 34.1g