This slow cooker barbacoa is an easy and delicious protein to add to burrito bowls, or make into tacos! The barbacoa is paleo, whole30 compliant, and can be adapted to be AIP.
- 3 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 small onion, diced
- 5–6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp cumin (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp chipotle powder (omit for AIP – see notes)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Fresh lime wedges
- Diced avocado
- Diced red onion
- Slice the chuck roast into 6-8 large chunks, trimming any excess falt and removing any bone.
- Set the roast pieces at bottom of the slow cooker and add the garlic, onion, and seasonings and mix well to evenly coat the chuck roast.
- Pour in the broth, lime juice, and apple cider vinegar.
- Cover the slow cooker and set to high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours until the chuck roast easily shreds with a fork.
- Remove the bay leaves from the slow cooker. Allow to cool slightly before carefully shredding the barbacoa with two forks.
- Add fresh cilantro and other toppings to serve with burrito bowls or tacos.
To add nightshade-free spice for AIP, add 1-2 tsp of horseradish powder.
Serve the barbacoa over cauliflower rice to make burrito bowls, or grain free tortillas to make tacos. Add toppings like radish, pickled onions, and avocado.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Proteins
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 237
- Fat: 8.7g
- Carbohydrates: 3.9g
- Protein: 34.1g