This slow cooker pot roast is an easy and delicious dinner that’s easily made in a slow cooker or crockpot. This version is paleo, whole30, and AIP-friendly.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 lb boneless beef chuck roast boneless
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Using a large pan, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Add the roast, season with salt and pepper, and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and place on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and saute for 3-4 minutes or until slightly translucent. Remove from the pan and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the parsnip, carrots, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, broth, coconut aminos, and balsamic vinegar to the slow cooker. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Once finished, spoon out about 1 cup of liquid into a bowl. Whisk in the arrowroot starch until fully combined. Add back to the slow cooker and allow to cook for another hour.
- Turn off the slow cooker and remove the bay leaves.
- Serve the roasted shredded along with the vegetables and top with several spoonfuls of the broth. Top with chopped parsley.
To adapt for the instant pot, cook on high pressure for 60 minutes, and add arrowroot starch at the end after you remove the lid to thicken the broth.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 388
- Fat: 10.9g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 52.9g