- 1 whole chicken (3.5–4.5 lbs)
- 3 tbsp ghee (sub avocado oil/coconut oil for AIP)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup parsnips, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare a clean surface and lay the chicken breast side down.
- Using sharp butcher scissors, carefully cut up along the spine on both sides, removing the spine from the back of the chicken. Either discard the spine or save for broth.
- While the chicken is still breast-side down and you’re looking at the interior/bones of the chicken, find the sternum bone. The sternum will be on the opposite side of the breast, where the breasts meet and will be raised as compared to the rest of the chicken. Use a butcher knife to cut through the bone. This allows the chicken to lay flat.
- Prep the herbed ghee (or oil) by combining the ghee or oil with the herbs, salt, pepper, garlic, and lemon juice.
- Flip the chicken (breast side up) onto the baking sheet. Tuck the wings under the chicken to avoid burning the tips of the wings.
- Spead about half of the herbed ghee under the chicken skin, and finish with extra on top, reserving some for the vegetables.
- Add the vegetables to the baking dish, surrounding the chicken. Top with the remainder of herbed ghee. Toss to coat.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes (time will vary depending on the size of the chicken), tossing the vegetables halfway through. The internal temperature in the thickest part of the breast should read 165 F.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before topping with parsley and carving the chicken.
All nutrition facts are estimated and will vary.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 457
- Fat: 18.4
- Carbohydrates: 18.4 grams
- Fiber: 4.7 grams
- Protein: 52.8 grams