These blueberry sweet potato turkey breakfast sausages are a great egg-free breakfast option! They’re paleo, AIP, and easy to make whole30.
- 1 1/2 cup sweet potato, riced (see notes)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (omit for whole30)
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- Steam the sweet potato by adding to a bowl along with about 3 tbsp of water. Cover with a paper towel and microwave for 4 minutes to soften. Squeeze with a towel to strain excess liquid. Alternatively, steam on the stove top by adding the sweet potato to a shallow pan with a lid and cover with about 1/2″-3/4″ of water. Bring to a low simmer and place a lid on the pan. Steam for 4-5 minutes to soften. Squeeze with a towel to strain excess liquid. Allow to cool to the touch.
- Combine the sweet potato with the turkey, seasonings, and maple syrup and fold until well combined.
- Add the blueberries to the mixture and gently fold in, being careful to not burst any berries.
- Form the mixture into 7-8 sausages that are round and slightly flattened. Set aside.
- Using a large deep pan, heat the avocado oil over medium high heat. Add 2-3 sausages to the pan at a time, being careful to not overcrowd the pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until crisped and browned. The internal temperature should read 165 F.
- Serve fresh or store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- To rice the sweet potato, roughly chop and add to a food processor. Process until finely riced.
- All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 sausage
- Calories: 179
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 7.2g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 13.3g