- 1 lb butternut squash
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 sage leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 12 oz pasta of choice (use a cassava pasta for AIP)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the squash and onion to the baking sheet, and place the garlic and sage on a small square of foil (or parchment). Top the entire pan with olive oil and wrap the garlic and sage to prevent burning. Top the squash and onion with salt, pepper, and thyme and toss.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the squash is tender and lightly crisp. Set aside.
- While the squash cooks, cook the pasta as directed on the package. Set aside 3/4 cup of the pasta water. Strain the pasta and set aside.
- Add the squash, onion, garlic, and sage to a high-speed blender along with the pasta water, coconut milk, and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth, adding 1-2 tbsp of coconut milk if a thinner sauce is desired.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and stir to coat. Serve by itself, or with a protein of your choice like grilled chicken, or bacon.
All nutrition facts are estimated and will vary.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 212
- Fat: 16.8g
- Carbohydrates: 17.4g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2.2g