This chicken divan is a paleo version of a comfort food classic! It’s dairy-free, gluten-free, and AIP compliant.
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 1/3 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 cup plantain chips (finely crushed, manually or with a food processor)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Using a large deep pot, place the broccoli in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a low boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until lightly fork tender. Strain and set aside in a large 9×13″ casserole dish.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and coat with arrowroot starch. Using a large pan, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Cook the chicken in the pan for 4-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reads 165 F. Set the chicken aside.
- Clean out the same pot used for the broccoli and heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken broth (reserve 1/4 cup on the side), apple cider vinegar, coconut cream, and salt. Stir and bring to a low simmer.
- Using a small bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup of broth and the arrowroot starch. Pour into the broth mixture and stir well. Allow to simmer and thicken for 2-3 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Add the chicken to the casserole dish with the broccoli and stir to evenly disperse.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and top with the finely crushed plantain chips and nutritional yeast.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until the top is crispy.
- Top with fresh parsley and serve with cauliflower rice if desired
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Nutritional information does not include optional ingredients.
- Category: casserole
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 683
- Fat: 40.7g
- Carbohydrates: 53.6g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 26.8g