This chicken marsala soup has all of the flavors you love about chicken marsala but in a nourishing soup! This healthy recipe is easy to make paleo, whole30, and AIP.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, divided (omit for AIP)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup marsala wine (sub 3 tbsp sherry vinegar for whole30/AIP)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, divided
- 2 cups spinach
- Optional- 1 1/2 cup gluten free pasta, cooked (sub 1 1/2 cups zucchini noodles to keep grain free)
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven and add the chicken. Saute until internal temperature reads 165 F. Set aside.
- Add the onion to the pot and saute for 4-5 minutes or until lightly translucent. Add the garlic and mushrooms and saute for another 3-4 minutes or until the mushrooms are lightly fork tender. Add the arrowroot and stir to coat.
- Add the chicken back to the pot. Pour in the broth, marsala, coconut milk, and season with salt, pepper, basil, and parsley. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to a low simmer and allow to simmer for 25-30 minutes. Add the spinach at the end and the optional pasta (see notes) or zucchini noodles. Stir until the spinach is wilted.
- Serve topped with additional parsley and seasoning to taste.
Keep in mind the alcohol in the marsala wine will cook off. You can still sub sherry vinegar as an alterative.
If you intend to eat the soup later, store the pasta seperately and combine when ready to serve.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian inspired
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 273
- Fat: 13.9g
- Carbohydrates: 8.4g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 30g
Keywords: chicken marsala