This chicken pot pie soup is a delicious alternative to traditional pot pie! It’s made with hearty vegetables, a creamy broth, and is paleo, AIP, and whole30.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup green peas, frozen (optional, omit for paleo/AIP)
- Using a large stockpot or dutch oven heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and lightly season, turning to cook for 4 minutes on each side until cooked through to 165 F. Set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is slightly translucent.
- Add the cauliflower, carrot, and parsnip and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until lightly fork tender. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the broth into the pot along with the thyme and sage. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Using a ladle, spoon out 1/2 cup of broth into a bowl and whisk in the arrowroot starch. Spoon out 1 1/2 cup more of the soup, being sure to get plenty of parsnip and cauliflower along with the broth and transfer to a blender. Blend the mixture until fully blended.
- Add the 2 cups of blended soup back to the pot along with the chicken, and frozen peas. Stir and allow to simmer for another 6-8 minutes to thicken the broth and allow the peas to cook.
- Serve with crackers of your choice and additional thyme to taste.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 299
- Fat: 10.9g
- Carbohydrates: 21.3g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Protein: 29.3g