These cosmic brownies are a copycat version of a lunchbox classic! These brownies are egg-free, grain-free, paleo, and can be made AIP.
For the Brownies
- 1 cup tigernut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (sub carob powder for AIP)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp maple syrup
For the gelatin egg (or sub 1 regular egg)
- 1 tbsp gelatin (great lakes or vital proteins)
- 1/4 cup water
For the ganache frosting & topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper that’s lightly greased with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tigernut flour, tapioca starch, cocoa powder, and baking soda and mix to combine.
- Stir in the melted coconut oil, and maple syrup into the batter.
- For the gelatin egg (sub 1 regular egg if tolerated) add the water to a small sauce pot and slowly pour over the 1 tbsp gelatin. Allow the mixture to rest over 2-3 minutes until hardened. Place the pot on the stove and turn in on low heat. Remove from heat once the mixture turns to liquid. Vigorously whisk the gelatin egg until it becomes frothy. Add the gelatin egg to the mixture immediately and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan, using a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon to evenly spread the batter. Bake for 25 minutes, or until brownies are baked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
For the ganache & topping
- Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate and coconut cream together, stirring until melted and well incorporated.
- Carefully pour the ganache over the brownies. Top the brownies with colored candy topping of choice, or omit if desired. Allow the ganache to harden in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before slicing into 9 brownies.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Category: Treats
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 375
- Fat: 21.5g
- Carbohydrates: 29.2g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 4.6g