- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sweet potato, chopped (see notes for sweet potato varieties)
- 1 1/4 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp arrowroot starch
- 4–5 oz of ground beef, cooked
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- Using a medium-sized pot, heat the avocado oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the sweet potato, butternut squash, broth, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper and stir well to combine. Bring to a low simmer and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. The vegetables should be fork tender.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly before adding to a blender along with the arrowroot starch. Blend until smooth and thick.
- Serve the queso topped with optional toppings and with chips like plantain chips.
For the sweet potato, use White Hannah Sweet Potato for less sweet queso, and orange sweet potato for slightly sweeter queso.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: snacks
- Method: stove top