This easy shredded beef is perfect for simply prepping shredded beef for tacos, hashes, and more! It’s made with minimal ingredients in the instant pot or the slow cooker.
- 2 lbs chuck roast, boneless
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (sub juice of one lime if desired)
- Slice the chuck roast into large cubes and season on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and lightly sear the chuck roast for 1-2 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Add the chuck roast pieces of the base of the slow cooker and add the broth and apple cider vinegar. Season with garlic cloves, onion powder, and top with bay leaves.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or until the beef easily shreds.
- Use the beef to serve over rice, with tacos, or any other meal where you need shredded beef!
- To adapt for the instant pot-
- Slice the chuck roast into large cubes and season on all sides with salt and pepper. Add the avocado oil to the instant pot and set to saute. Add the beef and season with salt and pepper and sear for 1-2 minutes on each side to very lightly brown. Hit cancel on the instant pot.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients to the instant pot. Place the lid on the instant pot with the pressure valve sealed. Hit “Manual” and cook on high pressure for 90 minutes.
- Allow the instant pot to come to pressure, cook, and let the pressure release naturally. Once the pressure is released, remove the lid from the instant pot. Remove the bay leaves and carefully shred the meat with two forks.
- To adapt for a freezer meal-
- Add all of the ingredients to a freezer-safe bag and freeze flat for 2-3 months. Fully defrost when you’re ready to cook it. You can skip the browning and add the meat directly to the slow cooker.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: global
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 183
- Fat: 9.2g
- Carbohydrates: 0.9g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 22.7g
Keywords: slow cooker shredded beef