This Filipino Chicken Adobo is a garlicky flavorful main dish that’s simple to make, and delicious! It’s paleo,
- 1 1/2 lb chicken thighs & drumsticks
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (omit for whole30 and keto)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp green onion, chopped
- Optional- pinch of red pepper flakes (omit for AIP)
- Pat the chicken dry to remove any excess moisture and set aside.
- Using a large bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, garlic, salt, and pepper and whisk well to combine.
- Add the chicken to the marinade mixture and stir to coat. Cover the bowl and allow to marinate in the fridge for 1-3 hours (or overnight).
- Using a large deep skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat. Use tongs to add the chicken to the pan, reserving the marinade. Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side to lightly crisp.
- Add in the marinade, bay leaves, coconut sugar, and water and bring to a low simmer. Cover the pan and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until the sauce is reduced and thick.
- Remove from the heat and serve topped with fresh green onion, and cauliflower rice if desired.
- Category: one pot meals
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Filipino
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 165
- Fat: 9.5g
- Carbohydrates: 5.8g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 13g