- 2 tbsp ghee (sub coconut oil)
- 1 cup broth + 2 tbsp (divided)
- 2 yellow onions, sliced thin
- 1–2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb chicken breast (about 3 chicken breasts)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 3–4 slices of provolone or mozzarella cheese (use this for dairy-free/AIP)
- 2–3 sprigs of thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Using a large oven save skillet, heat the ghee over medium-low heat. Add the onions and 2 tbsp of beef broth. Saute for 12-15 minutes, stirring often until the onions are caramelized. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, add avocado oil and bring to medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the chicken is lightly browned. Set aside on a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the onions back to the pan along with the arrowroot starch and 1 cup of broth. Stir and saute until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and cover and baste in the sauce. Add the cheese slices to the chicken and transfer to the oven. Bake for 8-12 minutes, basting the chicken again at least once (time will vary depending on how thick the chicken is) or until the internal temperature reads 165 F.
- Serve topped with fresh thyme with a side of your choice.
All nutrition facts are estimated and will vary. Nutrition facts do not include any optional side dishes.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 515
- Fat: 28.6g
- Carbohydrates: 18.4g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 44.9g