This healthier sweet potato gratin is the perfect holiday side dish! It’s dairy-free, paleo, whole30, AIP, and vegan-friendly.
- 2–3 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 full fat cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 2–4 tsp nutritional yeast (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small shallot, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and prepare a large, oval casserole dish (I used a 9×13″) by greasing with coconut oil.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes well and slice into thin rounds (about 1/8″-1/4″ thick) either using a sharp knife, or a mandolin slicer. Arrange the sweet potatoes in a circular formation on the edge of the casserole dish, overlapping them as you go. Layer the remainder of the sweet potatoes in the center of the circle, in a straight line. Alternatively, you can layer the sweet potato slices in vertical rows if you’re using a square or rectangular casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, arrowroot starch, nutritional yeast, sage, salt and pepper. Whisk well to throughly combine and set aside.
- Using a medium stock pot, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil on medium heat. Add the onion, shallots and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is transluscent.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture over the onion mixture and whisk well to combine. Simmer for 3-4 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Begin slowly pouring the coconut milk mixture over the sweet potatoes. Use a rubber spatula to spread the liquid between the sweet potatoes slices and evenly coat over the top until all of the mixture is used.
- Bake in to the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes and cooked and the sauce has lightly browned.
- Serve fresh with a serving spoon.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Sides
- Method: Baked
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 205
- Fat: 14.4g
- Carbohydrates: 18.5g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 2.7g