These easy homemade chicken bouillon cubes are made with no mystery flavorings of fillers, just fresh ingredients.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (divided)
- 2 chicken thighs (bone in preferred, boneless is fine)
- 1 chicken drumstick
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 cup water
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, white part chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- Using a pot or dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Lightly season the chicken with a bit of salt and pepper and add it to the pot. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until lightly seared. Turn the heat down to low. Once the temperature has reduced, add the water and cover the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, and carefully pour the water in a bowl and set aside for later. Remove the meat from the bone and set the cooked chicken aside.
- Return the heat to medium-low and add another tablespoon of oil. Add the vegetables and season with half a teaspoon of salt. Saute for 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables begin to release their natural juices into the pot for extra liquid, and are lightly fork tender.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the chicken and water back to the pot along with the remaining salt and pepper and lemon juice. Cover for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The vegetables should be totally fork-tender.
- Allow to cool before blending with an immersion blender or high-speed blender until no large chunks remain.
- Spoon the mixture into a mold that holds about 2 tbsp per space. I use my Souper Cubes, but an ice cub mold will also work. Allow to freeze solid overnight before transferring to a freezer-safe container. Keep frozen for 3+ months and use it as you would regular chicken bouillon!
- All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40
- Calories: 72
- Fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrates: 7.5g
- Fiber: .8g
- Protein: 5.1g