This Moo Goo Gai Pan is an authentic Chinese Mushroom Chicken made healthier! It’s paleo, whole30 compliant, and can be made AIP friendly.
For the marinade
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
For the stir fry
- 1 lb chicken breast, sliced into thin bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, divided
- 3/4 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup snow peas (see notes for AIP)
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts (see notes for AIP)
- 1/4 cup bamboo shoots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb ginger, minced
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (omit for whole30)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- Whisk together the ingredients for the marinade in a medium bowl.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat in the marinade. Allow to sit in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the vegetables by heating the avocado oil in a large pan and cook the carrots until tender for 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes until slightly tender. Add the snow peas, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots and cook for another 2-3 minutes to soften. Remove from the pan and aside.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge. Add more oil to the pan if needed and set to medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes or until temperature reads 165 F. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for another minute. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Combine the broth, coconut aminos, coconut sugar, and 1 tbsp of arrowroot starch in a bowl and whisk well.
- Add the vegetables back to the pan with the chicken and pour in the sauce. Stir to combine and reheat for 2-3 minutes as the sauce reduces. Add more salt to taste as needed.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
For AIP, omit the water chestnuts and swap the snow peas for broccoli or asparagus.
All nutrition facts are estimates and will vary.
- Category: one pot meals
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 422
- Fat: 10.8g
- Carbohydrates: 42.3g
- Fiber: 14.2g
- Protein: 40.8g
Keywords: mushroom chicken, stir fry, moo goo gai pan