- 1 1/4 cup tigernut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tsp orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp melted coconut butter (optional- for topping)
FOR THE GELATIN EGG (sub 1 regular egg)
- 1 tbsp gelatin (great lakes or vital proteins)
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper that’s lightly greased
- Sift the tigernut flour and tapioca starch together and set aside
- Add in the coconut oil, orange juice, and maple syrup and stir
- Stir in the baking soda and fresh cranberries
- For the gelatin egg (sub 1 regular egg if tolerated) add the water to a small sauce pot and slowly pour over the 1 tbsp gelatin. You don’t want any clumps, so lightly mix if needed. Allow the mixture to rest and bloom over 2-3 minutes. Place the pot on the stove and turn in on low heat. Slowly melt the gelatin (this will take just a few minutes) and remove from heat.
- Once removed from the stove, vigorously whisk the gelatin egg until it becomes frothy. Add the gelatin egg to the mixture immediately and mix to combine.
- Once the dough is thoroughly combined, place it onto a cutting board and form it into a large circle, keeping it about an inch in height.
- Use a pizza roller or a knife to slice the dough into 6 triangular scones
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes
- Remove from the oven and cool. Add the orange zest and the optional coconut butter