- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup tigernut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup palm shortening
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 egg (substitute a gelatin egg for AIP, see instructions below)
- 3 tbsp raisins or dried currants
For the gelatin egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp gelatin
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the coconut milk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in the palm shortening and combine well.
- Mix in the honey and coconut milk mixture and stir well to start to form a dough.
- Mix in the egg, or prepare the gelatin egg and mix in the gelatin egg. See notes.
- Fold in the raisins until evenly incorporated in the dough.
- Place the dough onto the baking sheet and form into a round loaf. Use a knife to score a cross shape in the bread. Bake in the preheated oven for 23-25 minutes or until the dough turns a light golden brown.
- Carefully transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely for 20 minutes or so before enjoying
For the gelatin egg substitute – Add 1/4 cup water to a small sauce pot and slowly sprinkle in 1 tbsp of gelatin. Use a fork to gently mix in any clumps. Set aside and allow the mixture to harden for 2-3 minutes. Place the pot on the stove and turn the heat on low heat. Slowly melt the gelatin over 1-2 minutes. Immediately remove from heat once the gelatin has melted and the mixture has returned to liquid. Vigorously whisk the liquid until it becomes frothy. Pour it into the breadstick mixture immediately to swap for an egg.
- Category: bread
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Irish