This chicken pot pie tastes just like the real thing without any of the gluten or dairy! This recipe is paleo and AIP-friendly.
For the filling
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
For the crust
- 1 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cassava flour
- 3–4tbsp coconut flour (see notes)
- 1 tbsp gelatin
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 + 1/4 cup palm shortening
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water
For the filling
- Using a large deep skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and lightly salt. Saute until cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 F. Set aside.
- Add more oil if needed along and saute the onion for 4-5 minutes or until lightly transluscent. Add the garlic, celery, carrots, and broccoli and saute for another 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables are lightly fork tender. Add the arrowroot starch and stir to coat.
- Pour in the chicken broth, coconut milk, and seasonings. Stir to fully combine and bring to a low simmer for 3-4 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken. Add the chicken back to the mixture and stir to coat.
- Pour the mixture in to a lightly greased pie pan (about a 9″ pie pan) and set aside.
For the crust
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Using a large mixing bowl, combine the cassava flour, coconut flour, salt, and gelatin. Cut in the palm shortening and mix well. Pour in the water and mix well to combine until a dough forms.
- Flour a clean surface with cassava flour and add the dough to the surface. Flour a rolling pin and roll the dough into a large circle that’s about 1/2-3/4″ larger than your pie pan. You can also roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper if it’s sticking. Roll until even.
- Flour your hands if needed and very carefully transfer the dough onto the pie pan. Pinch any tears in the pie crust, and pinch the sides to cover the pie pan. Use a knife to score about 3-4 small lines into the top of the pie crust.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden brown. Carefully remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
I find that all coconut flours have different absorbancy levels, and some result in a more dry crust than others. Add coconut flour 1 tbsp at a time to ensure that the coconut flour is not overly dry and doesn’t dry out your crust.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Main dishes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 523
- Fat: 35.2g
- Carbohydrates: 28.1g
- Fiber: 12.5g
- Protein: 26.3g
Keywords: pot pie, chicken pot pie