This paleo gingerbread house is perfect for decorating for the holidays! It’s nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and AIP-friendly.
For the gingerbread house
- 3/4 cup tigernut flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp gelatin powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1/3 cup palm shortening
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup palm shortening
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp matcha powder (optional, for green color)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a large baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper.
- Using a large mixing bowl, sift the tigernut flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, gelatin, cinnamon and ginger together.
- Stir in the maple syrup and blackstrap molasses and mix well. Cut in the palm shortening and stir until a cookie dough is formed.
- Lightly flour a clean surface with tapioca starch and add the dough. Flour a rolling pin and roll out the dough to about 1/4″ thickness. Use cookie cutters (like this) to cut even rectangles for walls and roofs, and two pentagons for the front and back of the house. Cut out other cookies shapes gingerbread men, snow men, trees, and other cookie shapes as desired with the leftover dough.
- Move all of the cookies to the baking sheet and evenly space. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes or until cooked through.
- Carefully transfer to a cooling rack and allow to fully cool before assembling the house.
- To assemble the house, pipe frosting (see below) onto all of the edges of the frame of the house and place on a cake stand, adhereing the walls to eachother and placing the roof on top. Transfer to the fridge and allow the icing to harden for 10-15 minutes before continuing to decorate with more icing and decorations of choice.
For the frosting
- Combine the palm shortening and maple syrup in a mixing bowl. Whisk with an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer) until light and fluffy.
- Add coloring of choice like matcha powder for green icing or pomegranate juice for red.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
- Serving Size: 1 full gingerbread house
- Calories: 2812
- Fat: 196.8g
- Carbohydrates: 207.5g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 18.3g