- 1 cup tigernut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder (sub carob for AIP)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (plus extra for greasing the pan)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
For the gelatin egg substitute (sub 1 regular egg if tolerated)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp gelatin
For the optional toppings
- 12–15 compliant mini marshmallows (I use this brand or you can make your own)
- 2 tbsp coconut butter (melted.. see notes)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tsp cocoa/carob powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a mini muffin pan with coconut oil. You should have 14-15 brownie bites, so be sure to grease enough spaces.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the tigernut flour, tapioca starch, cocoa powder, and baking soda and mix to combine
- Next, stir in the melted coconut oil and maple syrup.
- For the gelatin egg substitute (sub 1 regular egg if tolerated) add the water to a small sauce pot and slowly pour over the 1 tbsp gelatin. You don’t want any clumps, so lightly mix if needed. Allow the mixture to rest and bloom over 2-3 minutes. Place the pot on the stove and turn in on low heat. Slowly melt the gelatin and remove from heat. Vigorously whisk the gelatin egg until it becomes frothy. Add the gelatin egg to the mixture immediately and mix to combine.
- After the batter is thoroughly mixed, spoon into the mini-muffin cups and fill about two-thirds of the way full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until baked through.
- Remove from the oven and use a toothpick to carefully remove from the muffin pan. While still warm, top with marshmallows if desired. Allow cooling for a few minutes before drizzling with the optional chocolate drizzle (see instructions below).
For the optional chocolate drizzle
- Combine the coconut butter, oil, and cocoa/carob powder in a bowl and whisk well. You should have a creamy liquid with no clumps!
The best way to melt coconut butter is with a double boiler method.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Nutrition facts do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 136
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 7.6g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 1.8g