This paleo pumpkin roll cake is the perfect pumpkin dessert! It’s much easier to make than it looks, and it’s also AIP compliant.
For the cake
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp gelatin powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
For the frosting & topping
- 1/2 cup palm shortening
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (see notes)
- 2–3 tsp maple syrup
- 1– 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and line a 10×15″ jelly roll pan with parchment paper that’s lightly coated with coconut oil.
- Sift together the coconut flour, tapioca starch, gelatin powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and coconut sugar and mix well.
- Fold in the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and coconut oil and mix well until a firm dough forms.
- Add the dough to the jelly roll pan and spread evenly to cover the whole pan. Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 14-15 minutes. The cake should spring back when touched.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes. Place a large sheet of parchment paper on a clean countertop and very carefully flip the cake onto the parchment paper, having the side that faced the burner facing down on the parchment. Begin to carefully and slowly roll up the cake in the parchment paper until you have a tight roll. Place the parchment roll on a plate and place in the fridge to cool (making sure the cake isn’t too hot to go in the fridge). Allow to cool for an hour.
- Right before the cake is ready to come out of the fridge, make the frosting by creaming together the coconut cream, palm shortening, and maple syrup. Thoroughly break up the coconut cream and stir until a soft and creamy frosting is formed. Sweeten more to taste.
- Remove the cake from the fridge and very carefully unroll it. Use a rubber spatula or an angled icing spatula to frost the inside of the cake evenly. Carefully roll it back up.
- Slice into 6-7 even slices and top with shredded coconut. This cake is best served immediately as the frosting will harden in the fridge. If storing for later, allow to sit at room temperature for a bit to allow the frosting to soften.
For the coconut cream, you can easily set a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight and use the coconut cream that hardens on top.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 70
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 339
- Fat: 23.5g
- Carbohydrates: 21.6g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 3.1g
Keywords: pumpkin roll, paleo pumpkin roll cake, aip pumpkin roll