This paleo sweet potato sausage stuffing is the perfect holiday side dish or seasonal one-pan meal! This recipe is paleo, whole30, gluten-free, and AIP.
- 1 lb ground sausage (see notes for AIP)
- 4 cups sweet potato, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 honey crisp apple, diced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (omit for whole30)
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries, unsweetened
- Using a large pan set to medium heat, brown the sausage, using a wooden spoon to break it into small crumbles. Once cooked, set aside and reserve 2-3 tbsp of fat in the pan.
- Add the sweet potato to the pan and cook for 12-15 minutes, rotating often, until the sweet potatoes are fork tender and lightly crisp. Add more fat (like coconut oil or avocado oil) if needed as you go. Set aside.
- Add more fat to the pan if needed, and saute the onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Pour in the celery and chopped apple and cook for 5-6 minutes or until fork tender.
- Add the sweet potato and sausage back. Season with thyme, sage, salt, pepper, and maple syrup and stir well to combine. Saute for another 2-3 minutes to reheat.
- Serve topped with dried cranberries.
To make an AIP compliant sausage, simply use 1 lb of ground pork (or turkey) and season with 1 tsp each of rosemary, sage, thyme, and 1/2 tsp of salt.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Sides
- Method: stove top
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 9.9g
- Carbohydrates: 43.9g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Protein: 24.5g