This paleo “corn”bread stuffing is the real deal!
- 1 batch cornbread muffins, chopped into large cubes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 egg, whisked (see notes for AIP)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp chopped parsley, fresh
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (plus extra for garnish)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- To dry the cornbread, preheat the oven to 250 F and bake the cornbread muffins for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through. Set aside on the counter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly grease an 8×8″ casserole dish.
- Using a medium skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Add the onion, and celery and saute for 5-6 minutes or until lightly tender. Stir in the apple for another 2 minutes to lightly soften. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the broth and egg together. Set aside.
- Prepare a bowl with the corn muffin cubes and add the celery, onion, dried cranberries, seasonings, and broth mixture. Toss the entire mixture together with a rubber spatula to fully combine. The mixture will be soft and wet.
- Add the stuffing mixture to the baking dish and cover. Bake in the preheated oven covered for 25 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for another 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Serve topped with additional thyme and dried cranberries.
Though it will not bind as well, you can omit the egg for AIP.
All nutrition facts are estimated and will vary.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Category: side
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 191
- Fat: 11.6g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Protein: 3.5g