- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (omit for whole30)
- 1 tbsp dried cilantro
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 3 lb pastured pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
- 1 large orange, halved
- 2 limes, halved
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Combine the coconut sugar, cilantro, oregano, salt and pepper (plus other seasoning if using) to create a dry rub. Rub the pork shoulder until evenly coated. Add to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Squeeze the juice of orange and limes over the pork shoulder and place the rest of the orange and lime into the slow cooker along with the onion, garlic and bay leaves.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Once cooked, discard the orange, lime and bay leaves. Carefully shred the pork with two forks until fully shredded.
- If crispy carnitas are desired, set the oven to broil and add the pork to a baking sheet. Crisp under the broiler for 5 minutes or until crisped to liking.
- Serve topped with cilantro and additional lime juice if desired.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrates: 3.9g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 31.5g