- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (omit for whole30)
- 1 tbsp dried cilantro
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 3 lb pastured pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
- 1 large orange, halved
- 2 limes, halved
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Combine the coconut sugar, cilantro, oregano, salt and pepper (plus other seasoning if using) to create a dry rub. Rub the pork shoulder until evenly coated. Add to the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Squeeze the juice of orange and limes over the pork shoulder. Add the onion, garlic and bay leaves.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Once cooked, discard the bay leaves. Carefully shred the pork with two forks until fully shredded.
- If crispy carnitas are desired, set the oven to broil and add the pork to a baking sheet. Crisp under the broiler for 5 minutes or until crisped to liking.
- Serve topped with cilantro and additional lime juice if desired.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrates: 3.9g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 31.5g