This slow cooker chicken pesto is the perfect easy dinner! It’s made with a nut-free and dairy-free pesto and is keto, paleo, whole30, and AIP compliant.
For the pesto
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
For the chicken
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tbsp chicken broth
- Using a high-speed blender, blend all of the pesto ingredients on low until fully combined. Set aside half of the pesto in the fridge.
- Add the chicken breast to the slow cooker and top with chicken broth and half of the pesto. Stir well to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and set to low. Allow to cook for 2 – 2 1/2 hours or until the chicken is tender and the internal temperature reads 165 F.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the slow cooker to strain any excess liquid. Combine the cooked chicken with the other half of the pesto and stir well to coat.
- Serve the chicken with a side of vegetables or over a compliant pasta of choice like zucchini noodles.
To modify for the instant pot, follow all of the instructions as listed above and adjust instant pot cooking time to 10-15 minutes on high pressure.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Nutritional information does not include optional ingredients.
- Category: one pot meals
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: Global
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 390
- Fat: 31.1g
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 26.3g