These sweet and sour chicken poppers are a delicious and fun take on a classic! They’re made with veggie chicken nuggets coated in a sweet and sour sauce that’s paleo, soy and gluten-free and can be made AIP.
For the chicken poppers
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 lb ground chicken (uncooked)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 3 tbsp green onion, chopped fine
For the sweet and sour sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup (I use this for AIP)
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper lightly greased with oil.
- Using a clean dish towel or a paper towel, pat the carrots dry to ensure there isn’t any excess moisture.
- To make the chicken poppers, combine all of the popper ingredients (reserving 1 tbsp of green onion for topping) in a large mixing bowl and thoroughly mix.
- Begin rolling the mixture into small, slightly flattened poppers about one inch in diameter (you’ll have about 20-25 poppers) and place them on the baking sheet
- Place in the oven for 25-28 minutes, flipping halfway through. Crisp further in a pan or place under the broiler if desired for 1-2 minutes to crisp further. Remove from the oven when thoroughly cooked through to 165 F.
- While the poppers cook, combine the ingredients for the sauce in a pot and whisk well. Cook on the stove on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, whisking often until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and separate out about 3-4 tbsp of sauce for dipping.
- Allow the poppers and the sauce to cool slightly before carefully dipping each popper into the sauce until well coated. Serve topped with green onion and with extra sauce on the side.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Baked
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 483
- Fat: 16.5g
- Carbohydrates: 62.1g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 22.2g
Keywords: sweet and sour