This turkey sloppy joe is an easy one-pan meal that’s paleo, AIP, and can be made Whole30-friendly! It’s made with ground turkey and is free of refined sugar.
- 1 cup nomato sauce for AIP/tomato sauce for non AIP
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (omit for whole30)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- Using a small bowl, stir together the tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, water, coconut aminos, and coconut sugar. Set aside.
- Using a large skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and carrots to the skillet and saute for 4-5 minutes or until the onion is slightly translucent. Add the mushrooms saute for 3-4 more minutes or until the carrot and mushrooms are tender. Set aside.
- Add the ground turkey to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to finely crumble until fully browned. Add the vegetables back to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet and stir well to coat the vegetables and turkey in the sauce. Bring the sauce to a low simmer. Allow to simmer on low for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with a baked sweet potato (or with a gluten-free bun if tolerated).
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 272
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 9.6g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Protein: 23.8g