This bacon & beef chili is a hearty and filling take on chili! It’s paleo, whole30, and can easily be made to be AIP-friendly.
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup sweet potato, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 1 tsp coconut sugar (omit for whole30)
- 2–3 tsp chili powder (adjust to taste, omit and see notes for AIP)
- 1 tsp cumin (omit for AIP)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp dried cilantro
- 1 1/2 cup fire-roasted crushed tomato (sub nomato sauce for AIP)
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- Diced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Using a large stockpot, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly crisp. Set aside, leaving about 2 tbsp worth of fat in the pot.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and saute until the onion is translucent. Add the carrots and sweet potato and saute for 6-8 minutes to lightly soften.
- Add the ground beef to the pot and break it up with a rubber spatula to crumble the beef. Season with salt, pepper, coconut sugar, cumin, oregano, cilantro, and chili powder and stir until the beef is browned.
- Pour in the tomato, broth, coconut aminos, and the cooked bacon. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the chili to a boil and reduce to a medium-low simmer. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the chili is reduced to your liking and the vegetables are soft.
- Serve topped with avocado, fresh cilantro, and juice from fresh lime wedges to taste.
If AIP and a spicier chili is desired, add about 1-2 tsp of ginger to taste in lieu of the chili powder and cumin.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 372
- Fat: 20.4g
- Carbohydrates: 12.7g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 33.1g
Keywords: chili, paleo chili, beef and bacon chili