These carrot bacon breakfast fritters are a delicious and unique breakfast! They’re paleo, whole30, and easy to make egg-free and AIP.
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup leeks, finely chopped
- 2 slices bacon, lightly cooked and chopped
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chives, sliced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 eggs (sub gelatin eggs for AIP- see below)
- Avocado mayo for topping (optional)
For the gelatin eggs (AIP egg substitute)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp gelatin
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper lightly greased with oil.
- Using a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in the avocado oil and eggs (or gelatin egg substitute) and mix until a slightly wet dough forms.
- Form the mixture into small slightly flattened carrot fritters (you should have about 8) and place them on the baking sheet
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, carefully flipping halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving. Note that if you use a gelatin egg, the fritters have to cool longer to allow the gelatin egg to set.
For the gelatin egg substitute – Add the water to a small sauce pot and slowly sprinkle in the gelatin. Use a fork to gently mix in any clumps. Set aside and allow the mixture to harden for 2-3 minutes. Place the pot on the stove and turn the heat on low heat. Slowly melt the gelatin over 1-2 minutes. Immediately remove from heat once the gelatin has melted and the mixture has returned to liquid. Vigorously whisk the liquid until it becomes frothy. Pour in the mixture immediately to swap for an egg.
All nutrition facts are estimations and will vary. Nutrition facts do not include optional avocado mayo.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: global
- Serving Size: 1 fritter
- Calories: 140
- Fat: 9.8g
- Carbohydrates: 9.7g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 3.9g