This “cheesy” sweet potato casserole is serious comfort food made with real food ingredients! This recipe is vegan, paleo, and AIP-friendly.
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1/3 cup broth (chicken or vegetable broth)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3–4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 3/4 cup cauliflower florets
- 9 cups of white sweet potato, peeled and chopped (about 4 medium sweet potatoes)
- 4 oz plantain chips, crushed
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 8×8″ casserole dish.
- To make the cheese sauce, whisk the coconut milk, broth, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast (adjust to taste), garlic powder, turmeric, salt, tapioca starch together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the onion until translucent.
- Add the butternut squash and cauliflower and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the liquid mixture and stir well to combine. Bring to a low simmer. Allow to simmer on low, stirring often for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Allow the cheese sauce to slightly cool before blending with a high-speed blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a medium boil and carefully add the chopped sweet potato. Boil for 8-10 minutes or until lightly tender. Strain and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the casserole dish, and pour the cheese sauce over. Stir well to coat and combine. Cover the casserole dish
- Transfer the baking dish to the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes covered.
- Remove from the oven and top with crushed plantain chips and parsley.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Baked
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 470
- Fat: 22.6g
- Carbohydrates: 63g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Protein: 7.2g
Keywords: cheesy potato