These conversation heart sugar cookies are the perfect Valentine’s day treat! They’re paleo, AIP, and free of refined sugar.
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup tigernut flour
- 1 tbsp vital proteins gelatin
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup palm shortening
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1–2 tsp beetroot powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Very grease with coconut oil or other. Set aside.
- Using a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the palm shortening and maple syrup. Add the mixture into the flour mixture and stir in the vanilla extract until the ingredients are combined and a dough is formed. Add the beetroot powder if desired for extra color.
- Transfer the dough to a pastry board or parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough to about 1/4″ thick (you just don’t want them to be super thin!). Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the dough. Transfer the formed cookie dough onto the baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remainder of the dough. You should have about 6-7 cookies.
- Using a cookie stamp (like this) form your desired writing to add to the cookies (XOXO, I Love You, Be Mine, etc.). Stamp the cookie stamp to the center of the cookie.
- Evenly space the cookies on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before enjoying.
All nutritional information are estimations and will vary. Estimations do not include optional ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 161
- Fat: 12.4g
- Carbohydrates: 13.9g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 1.4g